Monday, April 25, 2011

Comment on " Foreign U.S. Work in The Middle East"

I fully understand your conflict in regards to US presence in foreign countries. I too have struggled with the notion of our government trying to tell others how they should run their own countries. I mean it’s not like we are doing such a great job with ours.
I have often had to remind myself of just how free I am here in America. The idea of democracy that government and non-profit agencies are trying to teach in other countries is necessary. These countries are full of corrupt regimes and governments. The people who live under them can spend their whole lives in fear and submission. Don't they have a right to know there is another way? I don't think our country should run around and say, ‘hey do it our way because it’s the best”. I do however believe that we should offer the knowledge to those who wish to listen. This is especially true in countries that have been destabilized by war. Having a presence in those countries of governments that are chosen by the people is important. Letting them know that this can be done without coercion or force is also important. Beyond giving them the knowledge, I think we should stay out of their governments.

No comments:

Post a Comment